USSSA is passionate about raising awareness of the SafeSport initiative and providing our athletes unparalleled development and competitive opportunity in a safe environment.
The U.S. Center for SafeSport is a 501(c)(3) non-profit focused on preventing physical, emotional and sexual abuse in sport. The Center, initially chartered by the U.S. Olympic Committee, is an independent organization with a nine-member board of directors, including subject-matter experts in abuse prevention, child abuse and sexual assault investigation, ethics compliance and sport administration.
In 2018, the “Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and SafeSport Authorization Act of 2017” became Federal law. The mission of the U.S. Center for Safesport is to make the athlete well-being the centerpiece of our nation’s sports culture. All athletes deserve to participate in sports free from bullying, hazing, sexual misconduct, or any form of emotional or physical abuse. Education and awareness are the most critical components to creating safe and respectful sporting environments, free of abuse and harassment.
USSSA has always strived to create a safe and healthy environment for all participants and their families. There are certain requirements from the SafeSport Act that USSSA and all local USSSA programs must adhere to.
- Reporting of Sexual Abuse involving a minor to the proper authorities
- All volunteers of a local league are now mandated reporters and could face criminal charges if the league chooses to ignore, or not report to the proper authorities, any witnessed act of child abuse, including sexual abuse, within 24 hours.
- Local programs must be aware of the proper procedures to report sexual abuse in their state. Please report using the above
“Report Abuse” Button.
- Local programs must adopt a policy that prohibits retaliation on “good faith” reports of child abuse.
- Local programs are highly encouraged to complete the Abuse Awareness training once the training is established & communicated to the entire association.
For more information or any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org